EXPERIENCEAritzia Magazine, Senior Editor / New York, NY / March 2013 – Present
- Packaging, assigning, editing and writing cover stories and features for the monthly style and celebrity magazine. Idea generating for cross-category feature packages ranging 10-20 pages in length, covering annual issues (Color, This Is Your Year, Countdown to Summer), portfolios (The Sundance Film Festival), and other cultural news of note.
- Collaborating with the Creative Director and art department to determine each story’s visual aesthetic.
- Devouring the entertainment beat by keeping up with screenings, TV pilots, music releases. Wrangling, editing and writing interviews with high-caliber talent, including high-caliber musicians and actresses. Attending and reporting on concerts, theater premieres and other parties for the website.
- Conceived, assigned and edited features for the weekly New York City culture magazine, ranging from six to sixteen pages in length, plus concurrent web-only packages. Features included annual issues (Careers, Winter Bars, Fall Fitness, Spring Fashion, Summer Concerts, Secrets of NYC) as well as timely features that were pegged to city news and pop culture trends. Pitched cover concepts to the Editor-in-Chief, organized and conceptualized cover shoots and edited and wrote cover and FOB features.
- Oversaw a stable of freelancers on a tight budget and guided them through the fast-paced revision process. Worked directly with other section editors on a rotating basis to produce features that dovetailed with their areas of expertise.
- Managed an Associate Editor, and collaborated with the art department, web editors, copy editors and fact-checkers.
- Edited and wrote the Hot Seat weekly column, a celebrity Q&A with various actors, artists and musicians.
- Maximized web traffic and pickup via Tumblr, Facebook, Twitter and other social networks. Tweeted concert reviews for the music section (@TimeOutNYMusic) and produced posts for the Time Out New York Tumblr. Brainstormed new opportunities for social media expansion; a November “Best of NYC” issue introduced a partnership with Foursquare (127,000+ PVs in one month). Executed a November Relationships issue (345,997 PVs in one month; unique visitors increased by 12.9% the week it ran due to refers from Gothamist and other blogs). An August 2010 “Coolest Jobs in NYC” feature profiling Tumblr, Elle and Gawker pulled in nearly one million PVs in a month.
- Promoted from editor of the Own This City section, a seven-page mash-up of cultural events, city news and listings.
- Co-Editor of Village Voice Media’s HeartlessDoll.com (no longer published), a site aimed at female readers of the popular Topless Robot nerd news blog. Composed daily news items and listicles on fashion, music and pop culture.
- Contributed comic reality TV recaps and culture pieces to the Village Voice’s Sound of the City blog.
- Edited features and music and arts listings for the bi-weekly culture magazine.
- Composed 5–10 daily blog posts about city news and pop culture and covered the Brooklyn music scene.
- Regularly conceived and wrote front-page cover stories, FOB pieces, reviews, profiles and Q&As for the feature well, arts and music sections of the arts-and-entertainment newsweekly.
- Had stories Boing Boinged, Gawked and blogged about on GalleyCat, the Daily Dish and other web outlets.
- Launched and edited Word Up, the Phoenix’s books and publishing blog, as well as Street Style, a street fashion blog.
- Executed front-list and paperback publicity campaigns for the non-profit publishing house.
FREELANCE AND CONTRACT WORKI have written for myriad print and web publications, including the New Yorker’s Book Bench Blog (an interview with Justin Vivian Bond and a piece on the Brooklyn Book Festival); New York (pieces for the Strategist); The Daily Beast (book reviews); The New York Observer (party reporting); Rolling Stone (stories on Oscar song winners and losers and Harry Potter scandals); SPIN (a profile of steampunk music and culture); and Teen Vogue (a feature on the effect breakups have on young people).
INTERNSHIPSBoston Magazine (Boston, MA / January 2004 – April 2004) • Q Magazine (London, England; March 2003 – May 2003) • The Long Island Press (Garden City, NY / May 2002 – June 2005)
HONORS AND AWARDSAmerican Society of Magazine Editors, General Excellence finalist for Features (Special Interest Magazines), Time Out New York, 2011
New England Press Association, 2nd place, Educational Reporting, The Boston Phoenix, "Publish and Perish," a look at unauthorized online Harvard course material, 2008.
SKILLSAdobe Bridge, content management systems (Community Server, Drupal), HTML, InDesign, Photoshop Elements, SlideShowPro, blogging platforms (Moveable Type, Tumblr, Wordpress), social media (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter). Mac and PC platforms. Fast and accurate fact-checking, reporting and researching abilities.
EDUCATIONBoston University, College of Communication, Boston, MA.
BS, Journalism and History, May 2004, magna cum laude.